Today’s post is about blogging:
The world of blogging is continually changing. Share 3 things you are essential tried and true practices for every blogger and 1-3 new trends or tools you’ve adapted recently or would like to in the future.
I tried to think of things that newbie bloggers both a) might not already know and b) might not have already been told. It was really hard! I’ve come up with five things, though, that I think are useful to know and haven’t been said too many times before. Unfortunately they don’t really fit with the prompt above, but, well. We can’t have everything.
1. DO go to as many book events as you can and/or that you’re interested in. I know some of you live in places that don’t have a lot going on in the way of book events, so, if you can, save up for a big one like BEA or ALA and go to that. Not only will it be awesome, but being around so many book lovers will make you feel like you’ve returned to the mothership.
2. DO be proactive in stuff. If you want a book, an interview, to write a guest post for another blogger, for more people to join in on your meme or event or challenge, or anything that involves people other than yourself getting in on it– be proactive and ask! Through email, preferably (it’s more professional). Politely, of course. And don’t be too upset if you’re turned down. It happens.
3. DO keep track of your books in some way. You probably all do this anyway, but having a catalog of your books (or even just of books you’ve read) will be really helpful later on when you’re wondering how you ended up with three copies of The Story of the Trapp Family Singers.
4. DON’T be afraid to make friends. Book bloggers are, on the whole, very nice people. If you want to be someone’s friend, do what I said in point no. 2: be proactive! Talk to them on Twitter, comment on their blog, be nice to them and soon you’ll no doubt have a new friend. Don’t worry about “cliques” or whatever– there aren’t actually cliques of people wandering around being snobby. Really! (Not that I know of, anyway.)
5. DO ask questions. Even older bloggers have questions about how stuff works, so you newbie bloggers shouldn’t feel bad about asking about things, either. Even if it’s questions that’ve been asked a million times before!
Happy end of BBAW, everyone! I’ve been trying to visit people who’ve commented here, but I’m a bit behind (understatement!). Still, if you’d like me to visit your blog– leave a comment here and I promise I’ll come over for a visit!