I love Once Upon a Bookshelf‘s Listed feature, where 10 books with a similar theme or trope are put together in a list. I’ve been wanting to do something similar for myself, so I’m yanking the idea and calling it “Birdwatching” because I thought it sounded vaguely clever. Yes/no?
I’ve been obsessed with boarding schools since I was a kid. I don’t know how I was introduced to the idea of them, but I’m guessing it was the Madeline books. I loved those books and I loved Madeline– I even had a Madeline DOLL which of course I lost somewhere back in Maryland. Anyway, boarding schools were, to me, amazing places where you lived without your parents with a bunch of other kids and you had adventures and secrets and, occasionally, homework. I desperately wanted to go to boarding school, preferably in Europe!, but of course it was too expensive and I in no way had the grade to qualify for scholarships and such. So I had to live vicariously through book characters instead.
Here are some of my favorite books that take place in a boarding school:
- Bloomability by Sharon Creech (1998).
- Spying on Miss Muller by Eve Bunting (1996).
- A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1904).
- Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones (1982).
- the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (1997-2007).
- Looking for Alaska by John Green (2005).
- The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events #5) by Lemony Snicket (2000).
Do you like reading about boarding schools? What are some of your favorite boarding school books?