These are the books I’d want with me, as of right now, if I were forced to live somewhere without access to a library and/the Internet. My primary goal would be to be entertained, but I’d also looking for comfort because I’m on a frickin’ island.
I kept it to only one book by a single author, because otherwise I’d just be dragging my entire Diana Wynne Jones collection around with me. Also no omnibuses, because that’s cheating.
- Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones, the crime de la crime of comforting and entertaining books. I have written a lot about how much I love Charmed Life, so I won’t repeat myself too much here.
- Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and
- Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie, two of the MOST entertaining books I can think of. Good Omens is funny; Orient Express is enthralling. I’ll need both to distract me from having to dig my own latrine.
- Have His Carcase by Dorothy L. Sayers, which is not the first Lord Peter/Harriet Vane book, but it IS the one where they start falling hard for each other. I almost like it more than the ones where they’re completely in love. Something about the anticipation, maybe?
- Either The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison or Prosperity by Alexis Hall, my two favorite books from 2014. One’s fantasy and the other’s scifi, and they’re completely fabulous.
- One very big book by someone I haven’t read yet but would probably like. So I’d have a pleasant surprise. I’m sure a desert island would have lots of unpleasant surprises.
Which books would you want to take with you to a desert island?