I’m on another blogging break at the moment, mostly because I haven’t been reading books! It’s like as soon as I hit my reading goal for the year I lost any interest in reading until January and now I’m spending my time obsessively organizing my postcard collection and playing the new Zelda video game. *cough* But actually, you know what? I don’t feel that bad about not reading as many books as I can during my break. It’s okay to not read books sometimes, and I get so much reading done when I’m not on vacation that I don’t even have to feel guilty about the piles of library books I have hidden away in my room.
Anyway– I’m not going to do a big end of the year review, but I will do something. So, I’m going to to talk a bit about where I plan to go with my blog in 2010 and what I plan to do in my reading life. Plus, stats!
In 2010, I will…
- Read at least one non-fiction book a month.
- Finish at least half of my reading challenges (because it’ll help me branch out into other genres and that’s a good thing).
- Not let my reviewing get behind more than three books’ worth.
- Use the library more, read ebooks more, and try not to get so overwhelmed with paper books my room becomes impossible to live in.
—> Likewise, I’ll cut down my paper library by at least 100 books. I am NOT paying to move that many books when I finally graduate from college!
- Make an effort to get to more author/book events, and to get more involved with authors in general.
- Get involved more with book blogging community stuff!
I will also…
- Not feel guilty if I don’t read the same amount of books I read this year.
- Not feel guilty if I occasionally take breaks from reading and/or blogging.
- Give myself permission to read larger books, even if (or especially if!) they take more than two days to read.
- Try not to compete with other bloggers about the number of books I read, what sort of books I read, or how fast I read. Or how many subscribers I have, or how many comments I get compared to other bloggers. It’s not a contest!
- Stop worrying about how popular my blog is, how popular I am, or how I compare overall to other bloggers.
So I think basically my wish for 2010 is that I stop worrying about other people and let me be me. 😀
Stats & Stuff
Total books read: 250 (8 rereads)
Reading challenges: 8/12 finished (1 ongoing, 2 dropped)
Friends made: a bazillion 😀
Top rated books (not including rereads):
The Stars’ Tennis Balls – Stephen Fry [rating: 5/5]
Cart and Cwidder – Diana Wynne Jones [rating: 5/5]
Theater Shoes – Noel Streatfeild [rating: 5/5]
Down the Rabbit Hole – Peter Abrahams [rating: 5/5]
Nation – Terry Pratchett [rating: 5/5]
The Lightning Thief – Rick Riordan [rating: 5/5]
The Escape From Home (Beyond the Western Sea #1) – Avi [rating: 5/5]
Lord Darcy – Randal Garrett [rating: 5/5]
Interstellar Patrol – Christopher Anvil [rating: 5/5]
Unexpected Magic – Diana Wynne Jones [rating: 5/5]
Power of Three – Diana Wynne Jones [rating: 5/5]
Feathers – Jacqueline Woodson [rating: 5/5]
Going Solo – Roald Dahl [rating: 5/5]
The Monstrumologist – Rick Yancey [rating: 5/5]
Leviathan – Scott Westerfeld [rating: 5/5]
Happy New Year, y’all!
Thanks for sticking with me through 2009, and here’s to a great 2010!