I thought it’d be fun to see what I enjoyed reading before I started blogging vs. what I enjoy reading now, six years later.
1. Little to no romance, with exceptions made only for chick lit. I usually didn’t like ANY romance in a book if I thought it distracted from the main plot (which was always).
2. Loved paranormal/urban fantasy and dystopias.
3. Lots and lots and lots of YA.
4. Lots of rereads–before I got to college I mostly just read the same few books over and over again (I didn’t live near a library so I could only read what I could afford to buy).
5. Didn’t like dragons (???).
1. Romance is a-ok! I even deliberately seek romances out now. (Though it still annoys me when, in a non-romance book, they stop in the middle of an exciting chase scene to make out.)
2. Almost no paranormal/urban fantasy and no dystopias if I can help it. I burnt out on them! My new jam: space opera and diverse fantasy.
3. More adult books than YA. As I’ve gotten older I’ve found myself drawn towards books with older protagonists. I still like YA, of course, but I don’t read it nearly as much as I used to.
6. Yay dragons!!!!
How has your reading changed since you started blogging? My reading habits have changed a lot since I started blogging! I’ve grown older, of course, and as one grows older one’s taste tends to change anyway. But I’ve also been reading way more each year than I did before, and I’m exposed to more books and reviews and discussions. I think all of that might be why my tastes have evolved over the years.