I’ve got two reviews coming up this week which tell basically the same story: I thought I was going to read an amazing book, and then it turns out the book wasn’t so amazing after all (to me). As it turns out, both of the books are by authors I’ve read before– and the previous books are what gave me such high expectations in the first place.
I’ve been burned before by books not living up to my high expectations, but usually those books are by new-to-me authors. Somehow it’s almost worse to have read a mediocre book by an author whose books I’ve enjoyed before. And! Now I’m worried about reading other books by those authors, because what if they stink, too?
On the one hand, maybe my newly lowered expectations is a good thing, so I don’t go into those books expecting them to be equivalent to a 5 bird rating. On the other hand, I don’t think having high expectations for a book– whether because it’s by a favorite author or because it’s gotten a lot of positive hype– is necessarily a bad thing, either. Sure, it sucks when a book fails to live up to those high expectations, but when it does! That’s an amazing feeling. Plus, why wouldn’t I expect an otherwise-awesome author to have awesome books all the time? You know?
Oh, the drama of being a bookworm (and of someone who sees at least three sides to everything. Ugh).
What do you do when a book by one of your favorite authors kind of…stinks? I was thinking of taking a break from the author’s books for a while, to sort of recharge my love for them, but one book (which I had on reserve at the library) just came in, so I kind of need to read it now. Um.
Other news: all the Book Blogger Holiday Card Exchange emails have been sent out! If you didn’t get yours, let me know. There’s a new reader poll in the sidebar. And I’ve added in a Networked Blogs widget thing, so if you prefer using that to GFC or a feedreader or something, there you go.
Weekly Book Stats
Books read this week:
156. Inside Out – Maria V. Snyder [rating: 2] e
157. Princess of the Midnight Ball – Jessica Day George [rating: 2] e
158. Pagan’s Crusade – Catherine Jinks [rating: TBD] e
159. Dust and Shadow – Lyndsay Faye [rating: TBD] e
eBooks acquired this week:
- Indigo Blues by Danielle Joseph (freebie).
- Haunted New York by Cheri Revai (freebie).
- Jinxed by Beth Ciotta (freebie).
- Open Season by Archer Mayor (freebie).
- The Green Man by Michael Bedard (NetGalley).
- New Girl by Paige Harbison (NetGalley).
- Hunted by Cheryl Rainfield (author).