I have so much news, people! Okay, so, first: I’m moving out of Albuquerque way sooner than I thought. My parents have been planning to move to California for a while, and I decided to tag along with them. Originally we were going to move at the beginning of 2012, but now we’re moving within (hopefully) the next three months or so. We’ve already started packing and getting rid of stuff, which means ruthless book purges and a lot of crying.
Book purges mean I need to get as rid of as many books as I can without falling completely to pieces. I’ve now gotten it down to, I think, the bare minimum plus the TBR books I really think I can read before we move. I’ll no doubt get rid of some TBR books once I’ve read them, so that’ll help, too. If I can convince myself to get rid of just a few dozen more I think I’ll be ahead of the game.
I’m really wobbling on some of my series collections, most of which are available as ebooks. Like, the Young Wizards books are getting updated/expanded (yay!) and released as (new) ebooks later this year, so technically I guess I don’t need the seven (old) paper versions I have, right? But I can’t bear to part with them, because I like having them all lined up on my shelf looking pretty. (Plus the first book is one I’ve had for AGES, and it was the first Diane Duane book I read, and I’m all sentimental over it. Sigh.)
I really hate the actual process of moving, though the results are nearly always good.Plus, once I get to California I can start hording again, I guess.
Second: Our trip to California has been pushed to late August. We’re still going because we want to check things out and get a feel for the place, but unless my parents absolutely hate it (unlikely), we’ll be moving there anyway.
Third: I only have one more book to to until I reach my book-a-day goal for July! Huzzah! I think I can finish it before midnight, if I read really fast and keep off the internet. So with that I’m cutting this Sunday Salon short and leaving you with this question:
How difficult do you find it to purge books from your collection?
Weekly Book Stats
Books read this week:
81. The Story of the Trapp Family Singers – Maria Augusta Trapp
82. Hard Spell – Justin Gustainis e R
83. Jane-Emily – Patricia Clapp
84. Witches’ Children – Patricia Clapp
85. What Do Fish Have to Do With Anything? – Avi
86. The Magicians – Lev Grossman *
87. The Star of Kazan – Eva Ibbotson
88. Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes – Jonathan Auxier e R
89. Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti – Genevieve Valentine e
90. Dragon’s Blood – Jane Yolen
Books acquired this week:
- Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile by Kristiana Gregory (PaperbackSwap).
- Dreams in the Golden Country: The Diary of Zipporah Feldman, a Jewish Immigrant Girl by Kathryn Lasky (PaperbackSwap).
I’m currently 42% into Hounded by Kevin Hearne, and it’s a LOT of fun. It’s got all the good stuff about urban fantasy books without minimum annoying stuff, and I’m really enjoying it.
This is the last day that Revolutionary Party will be up there in the top right corner. 🙁 If you’re interested in buying an ad space, let me know!