January 2011 is such a long time ago it seems nearly impossible. What was I even doing in January? Besides panicking about jobs and going on vacation? I think I had a lot of ideas to do on the blog, and I may have done some of them, but I didn’t keep track of what I wanted to do and what I did very well, unfortunately.
Anyway! For 2012 I basically…want to keep reading like I did in 2011? I like that I read a lot of books written by women, and that I read a lot of different genres. I’d like to read more books starring characters who are something other than straight white Western people, and I’d like to read a few more non-fiction books. I’d also like to read more chunksters! Normally I stay away from them because they take so long for me to read, and when it takes me a long time to read a book I start getting antsy. I’d like to get over that feeling and enjoy a chunkster or two this year. Maybe…three?
If I can keep myself in this new, slightly calmer mindset I think 2012 will be a great year for blogging! Yay!
Total books read: 169
First book read: Inventing George Washington by Edward G. Lengel
Last book read: Making a Living Without a Job by Barbara J. Winter
Female authors (not counting anthologies): 107
Male authors (not counting anthologies): 161
Freebies (both downloaded and otherwise): 11
Number of posts (since beginning of blog in 2008): 1,060 (as of this post)
Number of comments (ditto): 4,691
Average number of spam comments a day: ~150 (down from 300 in 2010! Yay!)
Compare to last year’s totals. I vaguely remember wanting to read more books written by women as well as more “diverse” books. I think I accomplished those goals? Sort of, anyway.
Top 15 Books Read
In order read:
- Daddy Long Legs – Jean Webster [rating: Buy it] e
- Skating to Antarctica – Jenny Diski [rating: Buy it]
- Dead End Gene Pool – Wendy Burden [rating: Buy it] R
- Rebecca – Daphne du Maurier [rating: Buy it]
- A Handful of Dust – Evelyn Waugh [rating: 5]
- Toads and Diamonds – Heather Tomlinson [rating: 4.5]
- Steinbeck’s Ghost – Lewis Buzbee [rating: 5]
- The Summoning – Kelley Armstrong [rating: 5]
- Bliss – Lauren Myracle [rating: 4.5]
- Feed – Mira Grant [rating: 5] e
- Storm Glass – Maria V. Snyder [rating: 4.5] e
- Ashes – Ilsa J. Bick [rating: 4] e
- Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow – Jessica Day George [rating: 5] e
- Dust and Shadow – Lyndsay Faye [rating: 4] e
- Anna and the French Kiss – Stephanie Perkins [rating: 4.5] e
Other interesting posts
- Why I am unimpressed by Google+
- On indie books
- On rereading (or not)
- BBAW 2011 Daily Discussion Posts: Day 1, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5
- Classics Circuit: Austen vs Dickens; The Devil’s Elixir
- BEA 2011: Pre Posts no. 1, no. 2, and no. 3, BEA Plans, Hello BEA People!, Wrap-up Part 1 and Part 2
Happy 2012, everyone!