- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, perhaps the ultimate gothic romance novel.
- Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer, a lighter gothic novel but still totally creepy because of all the gaslighting.
- Hemlock Grove by Brian McGreevy, which has werewolves and vampires and they’re definitely NOT ROMANTIC. (Has anyone watched the Netflix series, btw? I got about half an episode in and couldn’t take it any longer. Watching horror is scarier than reading it, I suppose.)
- Bliss by Lauren Myracle, the 1960s YA version of The Craft. Teenage witches and demons, ahoy!
- Salem’s Lot by Stephen King, a vampire story which actually scared me away from sleeping for at least one night.
- Uzumaki by Junji Ito, a manga series focused on a weird town that has an unusual affinity for spirals.
- 14 by Peter Clines, a horror story set in a mysterious Los Angeles apartment building.
What spooky books are you going to read for Halloween?
See also: 5 spooky kids books